I am interested in networked and distributed systems, from systems architecture and communication protocols to applications (see here for more details).
Keywords: Networked and computer communication systems, architectures, protocols and applications; Internet architecture; Mobile and wireless systems; Energy; Mobile health (mHealth); Security in networked systems; Communications systems for development; Performance analysis; Testbeds and empirical/data-driven research; Network control plane; Network management & resource management; Resource limited environments and systems; QoS (Quality of Service) adaptability & network QoS; High-speed networking.
I am part of the Networked and Distributed Systems (NDS) Research Group.
My publications are here.
Current PhD Students
I am on the lookout for PhD students for St Andrews! My topics of interest can be found here.
Currently, I am supervising the following students:
Graduated PhD Students
- Bruce Simpson (Mar 2016) - Multihoming with ILNP in FreeBSD (sponsored by Cisco)
- Ditchaphong Phoomikiattisak (Nov 2015) - Mobility as First Class Functionality: ILNPv6 in the Linux Kernel
- Chonlatee Khorakhun (Sep 2015) - Using Quantified-Self for Future Remote Health Monitoring
- Yi Yu (October 2014) - Enabling Energy Awareness of ICT Users To Improve Energy Efficiency During Use of Systems
- Michael Rogers (July 2011) - Private and Censorship-Resistant Communication over Public Networks
- Devan Rehunathan (May 2011) - Enabling Network Mobility Support
- Greg Bigwood (March 2011) (supervisor, Tristan Henderson) - Using Self-Reported Social Networks to Improve Opportunistic Networking
- Yang Cheng Huang (Nov 2007) - Improving Signalling Performance of Proactive MANET Routing Protocols
- Yee-Ting Li (Sep 2006) - An Investigation into Transport Protocols and Data Transport Applications over High Performance Networks
- Marcelo Pias (Apr 2004) (supervisor, Steve Wilbur) - IP Metering and Charging for QoS
- Tristan Henderson (Apr 2003) - The effects of relative delay in networked games
- Dina Papagiannaki (Mar 2003) - Provisioning IP Backbone Networks Using Measurements (Winner of the 2003 CPHC/BCS Distinguished Dissertations Competition)
- Panos Gevros (Oct 2001) (supervisor, Peter Kirstein) - Congestion control and resource management for IP
- ILNP - Identifier Locator Network Protocol
- IU-ATC - Indo-UK Advanced Technology Centre in Next Generation Networks (EPSRC)
- D-SCENT - Countering deception through the use of data "scent trails" (EPSRC)
- MASTS - Measurement at All Scales in Time and Space (EPSRC)
- 46PaQ - IPv4 & IPv6 Performance and QoS (EPSRC)
- ESLEA - Exploiting Switched Lightpaths for E-science Applications (EPSRC, PPARC, MRC & DTI)
- NETSYS CoE - e-Science/Grid Centre of Excellence in Networked Systems (e-Science/EPSRC)
- NRS - Network Resource Scheduler (EPSRC & PPARC)
- MB-NG - Managed Bandwidth Next Generation (PPARC & EPSRC)
- UKLIGHT - now integrated as the Janet Lightpath facility
- 6NET - Large-Scale International IPv6 Pilot Network (EU)
- PROMILE - Programmable Modular Router (EPSRC)
- FORM - Supporting Dynamic Federated Organisations Management (EU)
- IBCoBN - Integrated Broadband Communications over Broadcast Networks (EU)
- MIDAS - Management In Distributed Application Services (EU)
- MISA - Management for Integrated SDH and ATM (EU)
- QEDANA - QoS Engine Enabling Dynamic Adaptation for Network Adaptations (HP Labs Bristol)
- PROOF - Primary Rate ISDN Open Office (EU)
- ICM - Integrated Communications Management (EU)
- NEMSYS - Network Management Systems (EU)