Saleem N. Bhatti is a Professor at the School of Computer Science, University of St Andrews. His research interests are in the general area of Networked and Distributed Systems (NDS). Previously (until December 2005), he was at the Department of Computer Science, University College London (UCL). He has been involved in collaborative research since 1991, and has experience of working with network operators, equipment manufacturers, research institutions and academic institutions from all over Europe. His work has covered topics such as network architecture, protocols and system; energy efficiency in networked systems; multi-service networking; network and systems management; network security; IPv6; mobile systems; network quality of service (QoS), tele-working and remote-working; multicast; and high-speed networking. He is also involved with industry in various consultancy roles in the area of networking technology and systems. Saleem holds a B.Eng.(Hons), in Electronic and Electrical Engineering, an M.Sc.(Distinction) in Data Communication Networks and Distributed Systems, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science, all from UCL.
Current research interests
The main theme of my research interests is networked systems architecture and the control of network resources. At the moment, ILNP is an exciting area of work. I am interested in the Internet architecture and how it effects the interaction between the network, the application and the user. As the nature of applications has become more distributed, so the aspects of networking that allow applications to communicate and distribute information have become increasingly significant. Traditional networked applications have assumed that the network resources they need are always available. As the demand for network resources from applications increases, and the nature of the networks themselves changes (e.g. fixed networks vs. mobile networks), the applications must become (a) generally aware of their own connectivity and (b) sensitive to the demand for the limited resources in the network. This is especially true for mobile and wireless applications; for applications operating at very high levels of performance and so stressing the infrastructure on which they run; and for real-time applications with media flows that are sensitive to resource limitations within the network.
Network & systems architecture - Internet architecture; networks with hybrid and heterogeneous connectivity; energy efficiency; network control plane; network management & resource management; resource limited environments and systems; QoS (Quality of Service) adaptability & network QoS; high-speed networking; IPv6 and new network protocols; mobile networking and applications; network security.
On the subject of Quality of Service, I was in charge of the design and development of the NRS software.
Current research activities can be found here.
A list of publications can be found here.
I consider consulting an important part of my park, and a chance to work with industry outside the context of research collaborations. Working in a very practical and fast moving area, I am involved in various freelance consultancy, including bespoke consultancy and training related to my research interests (see above), and also in the general areas of network technology and networked communications.
Conferences and Workshops
- DamNet2014 - 4th IEEE ICDM Workshop on Data Mining in Networks, also 2013.
- MILCOM2014 - IEEE Military Communications Conference.
- HPCC2014 - 16th IEEE High Performance Computing and Communications Conference.
- CFI2014 - 8th International Conference on Future Internet Technologies, Technical Programme Committee, also 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.
- PIMRC2013 - 24th Annual IEEE Internaional Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, Reviewer.
- GI2013 - 16th IEEE Global Internet Symposium, Technical Programme Committee, also GI2012, GI2011, GI2010.
- DANMS2011 - IEEE International Workshop on Distributed Autonomous Network Management Systems, Technical Programme Committee, also DANMS2008.
- CBSEC2011 - Brazilian Conference on Critical Embedded Systems.
- SAN2010 - Self-Adaptive Networking Workshop, Technical Programme Committee.
- ATNAC2010 - Australasian Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference, Technical Programme Committee.
- ICNP2010 - 18th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols, Technical Programme Committee, also ICNP2009.
- INFOCOM2009 - 28th IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, Technical Programme Committee
- VoCS - BCS International Academic Conference, 2008 - Visions of Computer Science, Reviewer.
- PAWN2008 - ACM/IET/ICST International Workshop on Performance and Analysis of Wireless Networks, Technical Programme Committee.
- BROADNETS2008 - ICST 5th International Conference on Broadband Communication, Networks and Systems, Technical Programme Committee.
- ICC2007 - IEEE Workshop on GMPLS Performance Evaluation, Technical Programme Committee.
- IPOM2006 - 6th IEEE International Workshop on IP Operations & Management, Technical Programme Committee.
- LCS2006 Technical Committee, also 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002.
- PFDLnet2003 - 1st International Workshop on Protocols for Fast Long-Distance Networks, Programme Committee.
- NGC2001 - 3rd International Workshop on Networked Group Communication, Local Arrangements Chair.
- IWQoS'99 - 7th IEEE International Workshop on Quality of Service, Programme co-Chair and Local Arrangements Chair.
- ACM CCR - ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review.
- ACM TAAS - ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems.
- IEE Electronic Letters.
- IP-COM - IEE Proceedings - Communications.
- IEEE Communications.
- IEEE Internet Computing.
- IEEE JSAC - IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communication.
- IEEE Network.
- IEEE SMC - IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics.
- IEEE TPDS - IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems.
- IEEE TWC - IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications.
- IJHPCA - International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications.
- JNW - Journal of Networks.
- Journal of Grid Computing - Guest Editor for Special Issue on High Performance Networking.
- Multimedia Systems.
- Telecommunication Systems.